HOME

WHAT’S NEW

GUANGZHOU NOW

Guangzhou transfers people to their home destinations amidst COVID-19

BY :China Daily

UPDATED :November 25, 2022

Share

Share this with

Residents in the controlled areas of Haizhu district of Guangzhou, Guangdong province, queue up for nucleic acid tests on November 22. (Photo by Qiu Quanlin/chinadaily.com.cn)

People living in high-risk areas across Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong province, will be transferred to their home destinations based on their willingness, as the city continued its efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a local health official.

"We will formulate an optimized scheme during transferring people living in risk areas by fully understanding their needs, based on building epidemic-free communities," said Zhang Yi, deputy director and spokeswoman of Guangzhou Health Commission.

In a press conference in the afternoon of November 24, Zhang said district governments across the city would carry out the transferring of people in an orderly manner to prevent leakage of the virus to their home destinations.

"The transferring is aimed at scientifically and accurately ensuring needs of returning home by people living in the high-risk areas," she said.

In Kanglu (康鹭), a high-risk area of Haizhu district, which is hard hit by the latest outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic, there is a population of more than 100,000 people per square kilometer, according to early sources with the local disease control and prevention.

According to Fu Xiaochu, deputy district head of Haizhu, some 913 people living in the district's high-risk areas had been transferred to their home destinations.

"People's willingness of returning home will be registered by door-to-door visits to buildings or living units which had no new cases for more than three consecutive days," said Fu, during a press conference on November 24.

A large list of people with their health conditions will be formed, based on negative reports of their nucleic acid test results in recent five days, according to Fu.

As of November 24, 1,414 people living in the areas of Kanglu, Datang (大塘) and Longtan (龙潭) have been included in the list, according to Fu.

"We will contact the disease control authorities of their home destinations timely, providing security assistance such as buying tickets for people who are willing to return home," he said.

Source: China Daily
Editor: Pauline

FIND US ON