Liurong Community: Historic Site Becomes Asian Games 'Community'
Located on Liurong Street of Yuexiu District, the Old Nanhai County Community was one of the centers of official county government in Guangzhou during the Ming and Qing Dynasties.
Peaceful historic site
The Huiji Xi Street is a historically significant part of the Old Nanhai County community. It lies east of the traditional site of the Qing Dynasty General’s house, south of the Zhongshan Liu Road, west of the Haizhu Bei Road and north of the millennial Liurong Temple.
Various historic features can be visited at the corners of the community, including embossments by overseas Chinese living in Guangzhou, a map of the city from the period of the Republic of China (from October 10th, 1912 to September 30th, 1949) as well as stories of the 24 filial pieties (Chinese: 孝).
The Huiji Xi Street was also once home to the landmark 1902 Takung Pao (Dagong Newspaper《大公报》) and 1938 Wenwei Po (Wenhui Newspaper 《文汇报》).
The red building was once home to the landmark 1902 Takung Pao (Dagong Newspaper《大公报》) and 1938 Wenwei Po (Wenhui Newspaper 《文汇报》).
A map of the city from the period of the Republic of China (from October 10th, 1912 to September 30th, 1949)
Stories of the 24 filial pieties (Chinese: 孝)
Modern Games community with humanized design
In this unique Asian Games community of old town Guangzhou, the house gates and mailboxes of every building are the same size and style. Identical laundry racks have been allocated to all residents, and more new benches have been added for leisure.
Photos and stories of the Olympics and Asian Games decorate the walls throughout the community. In addition, ramps for disabled and handicapped persons have been installed.
Ramps for disabled and handicapped persons have been installed.
More new benches have been added for leisure in the community.
Huiji Dong Rd. and Huiji Xi Rd.: former 'petty bourgeoisie streets'
During the 1920-30s, many overseas Chinese returned to Guangzhou and built villas in the Old Nanhai community.
Most of the residences there have three floors, and cars are allowed not only on streets but also in alleys, a sign of the area’s former prosperity.
Since the buildings there were mostly painted red and inhabited by overseas Chinese, it was regarded as ‘petty bourgeoisie,’ bearing an architectural style similar to the buildings of Shamian Island.
Little paper boy
History of Liurong Temple and other sites near the community
Cultural Square in Liurong Street
(By Zhu Yanshan and Stephen Roach)